Hiya, I'm Jessica.
I can’t get enough of watching dogs roll in the grass, laughing so hard it hurts, and connecting people to life-changing resources. Everything I do is ultimately all about:
Helping people feel less isolated, more courageous, and better supported in their role as caregivers to people, pets, and our planet.
I've worked with and for companion animals for 20 years, but I struggled to stay healthy while I did the intense work of animal sheltering and pet owner support.
Everything changed when I learned about compassion fatigue and the strategies that can help humans stay well, while they make an impact.
Now I teach others everything I wish I had known. It's an honor being in your corner!
"Jessica has made a significant difference in the way I run my business, interface with clients, and operate on a daily basis. The changes we worked together to implement were realistic and achievable, and I never thought I'd laugh so much in the process. If you're on the fence about either coaching or classes with Jessica, I promise that she's worth it and her expertise, humor, and understanding go above and beyond expectations."
- Mary, Dog Trainer
Want to know more? Here's a snapshot of what I've been up to:
- Master of Science in Adult and Higher Education, University of Southern Maine 2017
- WeCARE Microcredential and Intro to Peer Support with Mental Health Innovations 2023
- CARE REDI Certified Bronze Level 2023
- Self-Compassion For Healthcare Communities and Self-Compassion for Caregivers with The Center for Mindful Self-Compassion 2023
- Certified 3 Vital Questions Trainer with The Center for The Empowerment Dynamic 2022
- Trauma-Informed Organization Certificate with the University at Buffalo School of Social Work 2022
- Emotional CPR Training with The National Empowerment Center 2022
- 3 Vital Questions Coaching Training with Bainbridge Leadership Center 2021
- Holding Space Coach Training with The Centre for Holding Space 2018, 2021
- Mindfulness-based Mind Fitness Training with Elizabeth Stanley 2021
- Movement for Trauma Level One Training with Jane Clapp 2020
- Workplace Wellbeing Certificate Program with the AVMA 2020
- Organizational Secondary Traumatic Stress Certificate with The National Child Traumatic Stress Network 2019
- Compassion Fatigue + PTSD in Social Work with Caring Safely 2019
- Positive Psychology Coaching + Positive Psychology Coaching Skill-Building Intensive, The Wholebeing Institute 2017, 2018
- Train the Trainer and Organizational Health in Trauma-Exposed Environments Tend Academy 2015, 2017
- Certified Mindfulness Facilitator: Mindful@Work + Mindful 365, Mindfulness Without Borders 2016, 2017
- Mental Health First Aid Certification, National Council for Behavioral Health 2016
- Suicide Prevention Gatekeeper, National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Maine 2015
- Stress Management Certificate, ALLEGRA Learning Solutions 2015
- International Association of Trauma Professionals Compassion Fatigue Professional and Traumatology Institute CF Educator 2014-2017
- Walking the Walk- Creative Tools for Transforming CF, Compassion Fatigue Solutions 2014
- Compassion Fatigue Educator Certification, Figley Institute 2013
- BA in Art History, Temple University 2000 (I really like museum gift shops)
You may also know me from my projects:
DINOS: Dogs In Need of Space is a website filled with resources for people who live with dogs who are reactive, fearful, aggressive, you name it. I’m the author of The Official Guide to Living with DINOS.
I live in Maine with my husband and our cats, dog, ducks, plus a whole lot of bird feeders.
My Myers-Briggs type: INFJ. INFJs are a bunch of old souls that make up less than 1% of the population. This is my fave MB test.
My top 5 Strengths according to Gallup: Relator, Activator, Input, Ideation, and Intellection. What does that mean for you? We’ll connect in a deep, meaningful way, I’ll help you activate your energy, and we’ll explore and generate new ideas through strategic thinking.
And my top character strengths according to Via: Creativity, Humor, Love of Learning, Bravery, Honesty, and Perspective.
You can always find me at: my local library. If sleeping over at the library was an option, I’d be the first to sign up.
My top 2 Voice Values: Helpfulness + Playfulness. Everything I do is right there in those two words.
Other place you might spot me: Drive-in movies, old post offices, museums about anything (even shoes), anywhere with good falafel, and wandering in the woods.
That's my arm and my BFF Boogie (keep scrolling)...